I finally had a day off after god knows how many straight days at work. So I did what anyone else would do in my position, I spent my evening on my ass, watching hockey. Here are your recaps.
- This one didn't begin pretty, the Avs were outshot 17 to 3 in the first 20 mins. (and something like 11-0 in the first 7) The penalty kill came through for them tonight, holding the Devils to only 1 goal in 3 attempts. After going 1-10 in their last games on the PP, Colorado's most unlikely power play artist, Cody Mcleod got the first Avs goal on their first shot. (then got sent off for boarding) Goals also came from Chris Stewart (a total rocket from the circles) and TEE. JAY. GALIARDI (that was my best Mike Haynes Impression) The Devils got tallies from Ilya Kovalchuk (a goal that had just enough zip to beat Anderson, and after the amount of shots he had tonight, he was due for one) and rookie Matt Taormina (first NHL game and he gets two points, not bad) For a team who didn't want to rely on Anderson all game, they sure did tonight. In typical Andy fashion, he bailed them out. Johnny Liles continued his assault on the single season assists record, adding another to his now 6 Apples in 4 games.
- Please, do not feel the need to adjust your monitors. The Leafs are ACTUALLY 4-0. They didn't make it easy on themselves tonight though, and they blew a 1:10 5 on 3 with around 6 minutes left in the third as the Rangers came back to tie the game. Phil Kessel had 2 goals including the OT winner. The big worry for the Rangers would have to be the loss of Chris Drury, 6 weeks broken finger..the same one he broke 4 weeks ago, and Marian Gaborik (Ok, who had October 15th? he's out 2-3 weeks with a separated shoulder.) Yet they got deuces from an unlikely source in Brian Boyle, who had 4 goals in 71 games last season. I smell MVP. The Leafs haven't got off to a start like this since 1993. I'm telling yah, it's these new jerseys.
- The Isles were without Robbie Schremp, Kyke Okposo, John Tavares and Mark Streit, suffice it to say, they're a hurting club limping into Consol Energy Center. The Pens, on the other hand, had yet to win a game in their new home, and had a power play that was lower than dirt. That all changed tonight..well..almost. They obviously won, but their PP was still shit. It went 1 for 8 (I swear Tony Granato is running their PP INTO. THE. GROUND) The only goal they did manage to score on the man advantage was Alex Goligoski's OT winner.
- In a surprise to exactly no one, the Hawks (or Cocks, as Drunk Jackets fans refer to them as) thumped the BJ's 5-2. I watched a bit of this game, and saw Patty Sharp pump in 2 goals and rip 13 shots from his twig. This will cause podcasters Brandon and Pete from Up The Pucks to bitch at each other (Pete's a Hawks fan, Brandon, a Jackets) and it will make me laugh hysterically.
- I'm going to admit something, I don't very much care for Buffalo. Ryan Miller has a weird looking face, Vanek is over paid thanks to Kevin Lowe, and Lindy Ruff might as well live at HSBC Centre for the amount of years he's been with the team. The ONLY reason I watch Buffalo games is for the one and only, Rick Jeanneret.
I even put up with MSG being dicks and not showing their games in HD, just to listen to Jeanneret. I've yet to hear him call a goal live. Oh yah, Montreal won.
-I watched enough of this game to know two things. One, the Honda Center was EMPTY tonight. Two. Anthony Stewart, brother of Avs forward Chris Stewart, not only scored 17 seconds into the game, but had his FIRST hat trick. Congrats to Anthony tonight.
- It's October here in Vancouver, so that means a few things, it gets rainy and the Canucks start off incredibly slow. This wasn't more evident than it was tonight, as LA basically dictated the play from the get go. Luongo looked his usual 'October self' and the only plus you could really say for Vancouver was the pretty passing play that led to their only goal. (Henrik to Daniel..or was it Daniel to Henrik?) Oh look, fans gathering on the Lions Gate Bridge..wait..why are the all dressed in Canucks gear?